grub-devel

Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Macbook, Efi, Display mode
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:39:10 +0200

Am Samstag, den 26.09.2009, 22:48 +0200 schrieb Stefan Bienert:
> And another "Hi",
>
> update: Using '--file' in the search did the trick! I really start
> loving Grub2: Really faster booting, seems to be easy to configure...

> >> What is that?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID
>
> You know, you make feeling me like a noob again.
>
> >>  Where do I get it from?
> >
> > grub-probe -t fs_uuid /
> > or grub-probe -t fs_uuid -d /dev/sda1
> >
> >> How do I incorporate this into
> >> grub.cg?
>
> > search --set --fs-uuid abc-123...
>
> Just for the sake of completion: abc-123.../path/to/kernel?

No. If you use --fs-uuid instead of --file then you use the UUID.
I thought it would be clear, to just use the UUID value grub-probe tells
you. Without any path appended to it.

> I prefer using the search for a file, since I may switch disks without
> resetting the uuid.

If the file you use for the search command only exists once in your
system then it's fine.

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer