grub-devel

Re: pci-e config register modification in grub

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: pci-e config register modification in grub
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 18:41:03 +0200

Nando wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Wondering if grub2 can have an additional module added to do various
> pci-e Configuration Register fixups/modifications before launching
> into XP/Win7/Linux. Specifically I require:
>
> 1/ ability to modify PCI Bridge Configuration Registers for DIY ViDock
> project <http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5324240> to
> allow the video card to work [ current workaround is boot DOS, use
> pcitool to do the mod, then use grub4dos to chainload the OS ]
>
> 2/ ability to restore a mini pci-e port's Extended PCI Configuration
> registers config to reverse HP bios whitelisting of wifi cards (See
> bottom of HP Mini pci-e wifi bios thread
> <http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/topic9388-105.html>. No current tool
> can do this that I've found, with the DOS pcitool extending only to
> the 00-FF pci-e configuration registers, not the extended registers.
I'm not familiar with pci-e and don't know how much additional code
would be required considering already existing pci code. Considering
windows share "chainloader" command with other OSes too one could add a
command "winfix" which will autodetect and do all the fixes necessary
for windows and then 30_os_prober.in can be modified to use this. This
way user doesn't need manual configuration. If autodetecting is too
cumbersome one could have separate commands in grub to do exactly the
fix you need. Could you make the patch and send it here. If you need to
import code from another project discuss it here first - not all code is
suitable for grub