grub-devel

Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area

From: James Courtier-Dutton
Subject: Re: Protection of boot sector and embedded area
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:07:41 +0100

2009/9/26 Colin Watson <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 09:28:12AM +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> Is there a setting for grub-install/grub-setup where, if set, will
>> never actually over write the boot sector and embedded area of my HD?
>> I don't mind grub.conf being written to, I just do not want the boot
>> up executables written to.
>> For example, if I have an Ubuntu install, and the grub package gets
>> upgraded, is there a way to stop the automatic update from attacking
>> the boot and embedded area of my HD?
>
> At the moment, this is a recipe for GRUB becoming unusable, as the
> interface between the core image and grub.cfg is not yet stable. As
> such, I expect that the Ubuntu package will be changing to make this
> harder to do by accident.

I suppose I have a special case.
My HD already has a custom boot sector and embedded area doing
something else. So I cannot install grub there at all.
I am currently installing grub onto a usb stick and booting Linux from
the usb stick, with the usb stick just doing the grub bit for me.
I want to make sure that if I do automatic upgrades in ubuntu, it will
never accidentally wipe the custom boot sector and embedded areas of
my HD.
I will manually do grub-install to update the grub on my usb stick.