grub-devel

Re: grub-install for FreeBSD

From: Brian R. Jones
Subject: Re: grub-install for FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:01:16 -0700

Robert Millan wrote:
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 08:36:01AM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
Andrey Shuvikov wrote:
Hello,

I tried to install Grub2 under FreeBSD but grub-install failed because readlink
doesn't understand -f and stat doesn't have -c. I edited grub-mkconfig_lib.in
to use different commands instead. I'm not sure it's the right way to handle
this difference but it worked. The patch is attached.

We're aware of this problem. Felix Zielcke has a solution but at this
point it's deemed too intrusive. We'll probably commit it once feature
freeze is over

Alternatively, I could also allow a patch that checks the capabilities of
those commands.  It should try readlink first, and fallback to greadlink
if necessary.

Not sure if Felix's patch covers it, but there is also a problem with the 'sed' syntax in 10_freebsd and 30_os-prober. It turns out that freebsd 'sed' is quite retarded (at least in 7.2) and doesn't know that '\t' is supposed to be tab. Replacing 'sed' with 'gsed' or 'perl -p' fixes this issue.

Where would I go to view Felix's path? I am concerned because freebsd also has a 'gstat' command that does not work either. Only by installing the coreutils and pointing explicitly at the coreutils version of gstat did I get this to work.

--
--Brian