grub-devel

Re: Save boot record before writing to the dest_drive

From: kashyap garimella
Subject: Re: Save boot record before writing to the dest_drive
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:38:59 +0530

Hi !,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:52 AM, James Courtier-Dutton <address@hidden> wrote:
2009/9/22 Lars Nooden <address@hidden>:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> I think this would be a good feature, because if nothing else, I
>> permits the user to "uninstall grub" if they so wish.
>
> I would disagree with the use case described, but agree that having the
> ability to roll back to the previous boot record could possibly be of
> value.
>
> -Lars

So, if one did a dd backup of the boot sector and the embedded area
before the first partition, is there a tool that can replace those
sectors but do it safely. E.g. Only replace the number of sectors that
fit before the first partition, and preserve the current partition
table, and not use the partition table from the dd backup.

There is already a thread discussing this topic. http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg12829.html
The patch saves the exact places in embed region, which are overwritten.  And it restores the mbr+embed region safely.

-Kashyap Garimella Jagannadh
(irc:garimella)
Undergraduate Student,
IIT Madras, India