grub-devel

Re: grub-mkconfig fails on every non i386-pc because of gfxterm/vbe

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: grub-mkconfig fails on every non i386-pc because of gfxterm/vbe
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 22:44:29 +0200

Hello

2009/9/12 Felix Zielcke <address@hidden>:
> Am Samstag, den 12.09.2009, 14:58 +0200 schrieb Robert Millan:

>> > Generally, I would prefer not to rely on the existence of modules, as
>> > it's a poor substitute for the knowledge whether they are actually
>> > functional on the target hardware.
>>
>> I suppose we could put that knowledge into *.rmk files (i.e. stop building
>> gfxterm on platforms that don't have video backends).  But it's a bit
>> annoying since it forces us to maintain duplicate declarations for it.
>>

> And we'd need to define a fixed video backend for every target, else we
> still have to check if there's a suitable one.
> I don't see why that would be better then the current method.
> And I doubt we can check inside the OS if the avaible video backends
> actually work on the machine of the user.

Perhaps the terminal_output command should fail if the terminal does
not work so we can do something like

for vd in <future video drivers> vbe vga ; do #assuming vga is fixed
 insmod $vd && break
done

for to in gfxterm console ; do
 terminal_output $to && break
done

Also why does gfxterm failing really matter? Shouldn't grub just
continue with console?

Thanks

Michal