grub-devel

Re: PXEgrub development on grub2

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: PXEgrub development on grub2
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 14:07:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Quoting Robert Millan, who wrote the following on Fri, 11 Sep 2009:

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 02:17:56PM -0700, Seth Goldberg wrote:

It sounds good. Looks like gPXE should work on EFI.

I will try to build an image.

Though that doestn't change that pxe.mod is currently only build for
i386-pc and nothing else

 Does anyone have any patches that enable PXE on EFI-firmware-based systems?

What we need is firmware-independant support.  I can live with the PXE-on-BIOS
hack if it's useful, but what we're supposed to have is a driver framework like
the one in GRUB Legacy, not a stub for each firmware type.

Reliing on firmware is problematic, because it's usually proprietary and buggy,
we shouldn't do it if it can be avoided.

I strongly disagree with you in this specific case. Our experience in Solaris has demonstrated that PXE firmware is surprisingly robust (when the right combination of API calls (i.e. those tested by Windows) are used). We have been successfully using PXE-based firmware for netbooting for many years now, and we would like to continue to do so. Maintaining a driver collection for NICs is futile, IMHO. Using the firmware that's there, and that's reliable should be the goal. Not all firmware is our enemy :).

 --S