grub-devel

Re: Mad idea: grub-fuse

From: Bean
Subject: Re: Mad idea: grub-fuse
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 18:39:13 +0800

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Colin Watson<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 06:07:48PM +0800, Bean wrote:
>> Actually I've considered this before. My goal is to add a mini FUSE fs
>> interface so that it can have read/write support in grub2 !
>
> I'm actively uninterested in write support; in this case it would do
> much more harm than good.

Hi,

It has some usage, actually both OpenFirmware and EFI have write
driver, it can be used to edit boot config files. And we don't need to
support all fs, for example, write support for fat is quite useful
while don't require much effort to implement.

>> Of course, the startup fs modules are still read-only, but after
>> entering normal mode, users can switch to the fuse driver for more
>> functionality.
>
> The level of functionality provided by the existing filesystem modules
> would be quite sufficient.

Oh I see, you mean the other way around, using the grub fs code to
implement a FUSE driver. But I don't see why not just modify os-prober
to work with grub-fstest, this is much simpler than writing a FUSE
wrapper.

--
Bean

gitgrub home: http://github.com/grub/grub/