grub-devel

Re: chmod of generated grub.cfg

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: chmod of generated grub.cfg
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 11:06:56 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 06.09.2009, 20:21 -0500 schrieb address@hidden:
> On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Vladimir 'phcoder'
> Serbinenko<address@hidden> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'd prefer to see this done only if they set a password. A GRUB_CHMOD
> >> variable seems overkill, though.
> > Is there a reason a non-root would like to look at grub.cfg on
> > production system? Developers can always override chmod. If there is
> > no real reason for non-root to look into grub.cfg I would follow the
> > best friend in security considerations called "paranoia" and just use
> > mode 400
>
> Shouldn't it be u+rw anyway, or 0600 ?

I don't think this would be good.
The next grub-mkconfig run would just overwrite your changes you made
directly in grub.cfg
If any admin wants to do this nevertheless the warning at the top of it,
then he can also just change the mode or use with vim for example `:w!'

--
Felix Zielcke
Proud Debian Maintainer