grub-devel

Re: Report: compil error on OSX for target=i386

From: Yves Blusseau
Subject: Re: Report: compil error on OSX for target=i386
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:30:50 +0200

Le 6 sept. 09 à 16:54, Robert Millan a écrit :

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 06:55:41AM +0200, Yves Blusseau wrote:

Le 5 sept. 09 à 22:31, Robert Millan a écrit :

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 03:17:58PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:

Still the time and space required to build GCC is much larger than
that required for building grub. The OS X platform is somewhat exotic
because it uses different object format and non-gnu linker so it is
more likely there will be issues with building GCC. Since the time I
tried GCC is no longer self-containded but relies on additional
libraries that have to be installed separately so the user has to
compile several interdependent packages from source which certainly
requires more planning than just building a single package.

Is there no simple mechanism for installing software on MacOS ? E.g.
on
Debian one would just use apt-get.  I heard about the Fink project,
although I haven't used it myself.

On MacOS you can install external program by compiling it with software
like Fink or MacPorts (http://www.macports.org/)

I see that "gcc44" is listed there (as well as "apple-gcc42" for Apple's
version which we're already "aquainted" with).

So I take it that we can direct MacOS users to this repository, and they
would be able to install a working GCC from it?

Look at my previous post:

I have tried to compil with a mac port of gcc 4.4 but configure report an error (about the linker):

checking whether target compiler is working... no
configure: error: cannot compile for the target

and if i look into the config.log it's because it use the default apple linker tool witch don't recognize some arguments:

configure:5882: gcc-mp-4.4 -o conftest -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wpointer- arith -Wmissing-prototypes -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -g -Os -falign- jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -falign-functions=1 -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -m32 - fno-stack-protector -mno-stack-arg-probe -nostdlib -Wl,-- defsym,___main=0x8100 -m32 conftest.c >&5
ld: unknown option: --defsym
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Regards,
Yves Blusseau