grub-devel

Re: [RFC] multiboot ammendment firmware info

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: [RFC] multiboot ammendment firmware info
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:35:39 -0700 (PDT)

Remark 2: In case of EFI booter has to call EfiExitBootServices
Another subject for discussion - if OS wants to make calls to EFI from
protected mode it has to call set_virtual_address_map and for this it
needs information about memory occupied by firmware do we add an
additional pointer which contains an array of efi_memory_descriptors
describing just the firmware or do we try to add this information to
multiboot memory map?

I think including the information in the multiboot memory map is fine as long as there's a flag added that specified that the memory is in use by EFI (if that cannot be done compatibly, a separate memory list is fine).

 --S