grub-devel

Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: [GITGRUB] New menu interface
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:25:06 +0200

2009/9/2 Bean <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:27 PM, Michal Suchanek<address@hidden> wrote:
>> How will it fit screen? What if the image is 4:3 and  the screen is
>> 5:4 or widescreen?
>
> It'd scale to fit the new proportion, although the image perhaps won't
> look nice in this case. We could choose one of the following rendering
> method based on option:
>
> Center
> Scaling (full)
> Scaling (keep ratio)
> Tiling

Other common uses are

Scaling (cover) - keep aspect but cover the whole area (with parts of
the picture sticking out of the viewport) - useful with a
non-intrusive background like a photo of fallen leaves or the like

Left, Right, TopLeft, BottomRight, ... - for side and corner decorations.

>> Percentages are a good start. However, if you make your menu
>> percentage based adding new items or new menu areas is still
>> problematic.
>
> Actually I've though of another representation, using the font metrics
> as base unit,  something like this:
>
> + menu {
>  x = 10%
>  y = 10%
>  width = 30c
>  height = 30c
> }

Does that c represent the width of the character "c"? What about

I think it is OK if the layout manager was in Lua if that makes
hacking on it easier but you still need the support functions for a
fully functional layout manager in C for that to work.

Thanks

Michal