grub-devel

Re: TPM support status ?

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: TPM support status ?
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 01:39:25 +0200

2009/8/19 Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:

>>> Coreboot can prevent that as well as TPM can.
>>>

>> Coreboot can be "stoned" as easily as your MBR since you can easily
>> rewrite the MBR from the software. On MB that does not support online
>> overwriting, you may require physical access (but since you already have
>> to do some dirt work to replace your RO BIOS, that is not really difficult).
> You can remove TPM too

That would remove the keys, too. And the chips are designed to erase
them in this case because then you could copy your media files from
one device to other and not buy media for each device separately.

But the bios on most boards is removable and/or upgradeable in place
so you can do the same with TPM+BIOS as you could with coreboot+any
crypto you choose but you get much fewer options in the case of
TPM+BIOS.

Thanks

Michal