grub-devel

Re: TPM support status ?

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: TPM support status ?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 19:20:32 +0200

> Technical measures can never decide who, morally, "owns" a computer.
I agree. Anyone who can open the computer can make it do whatever he
wants too. It's possible to increase the cost of such operations by
all kind of obfuscation schemes. If a cost to make a laptop behave for
the thief is bigger than the cost of the laptop noone will steal one.
To achieve this some kind of hardware secret (which needs to be
figured out for operating laptop) or watermarking (or visible
engravings) should be enough, no need for TPM. The last one in this
case is actually of no use - it can replaced with a new chip.
All the software can protect is the data. Just encrypt your data with
your password. Some people say "with TPM I don't need to enter my
password". If you don't want to, buy a small USB stick and put the key
on it and attach it on your keychain. This way you keep the key and
not TPM manufacturer.
> It's why I still have set an unrestricted boot
> option on my computer (without access to my personal-data encryption
> password of course - it's in my head)
I made the same decision.
> *some options:
> - Lock down not very much at all: Let anyone boot a CD, or even log in
> directly as root, or at least replace your hard drive.  Allowing only the
> former probably makes you safer from someone lazy grabbing your computer out
> of your hands and deleting your files in a stroke of anger; adding some
> time/practicality delay that's still much less than the nuisance of
> replacing hardware can be an okay compromise.

Someone who wants your data to be gone would just destroy the HD.

I mostly agree with the rest of the mail just there is an additional
usecase which is remote booting