grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Redesign of the menu system

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: [RFC] Redesign of the menu system
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:30:00 +0200

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Bean<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some clarification about the XML/CSS format:
>
> First of all, the internal representation of component is tree-like
> structure, which is quite natural to XML, we can create the tree while
> parsing. Besides, we don't need to implement the full specification of
> XML/CSS, just a subset that works for us.
>
> And as stated previously, XML/CSS is not the only interface. It's
> primarily used for normal user. As XML/CSS is wildly used, user can
> open the configuration file and get a general idea of what's it about.
> But for advanced users, he may decide to configure the menu in
> grub.cfg, in this case, XML is definitely not suitable as it conflicts
> with existing syntax, and the {} syntax would be fine.

The problem of XML/CSS is that they can't be modified on the fly by
commands from shell. You need to have an OS booted to do that. Because
of that I see no benefit from supporting XM in grub itself. If you
want to allow menu interface creation with XML+CSS which can be good
thing you can create a converter running in userspace and this way you
can reuse existing XML and CSS libraries. Then in grub the resulting
format can be loaded using "source" command