grub-devel

Re: grub-mkconfig fails on every non i386-pc because of gfxterm/vbe

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: grub-mkconfig fails on every non i386-pc because of gfxterm/vbe
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:44:53 -0400

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 13:04 +0200, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 11.06.2009, 18:09 +0200 schrieb Vladimir 'phcoder'
> Serbinenko:
> > The correct solution would be to check the presence of graphical
> > backend and base the default on it. Or even better is to make the
> > default depend on platform. It would solve the situations in which
> > video backend is available but known to cause problems
>
> Pavel already wanted that gfxterm isn't anymore the default but didn't
> replied yet to my other mail about it.

I'm sorry, I'm very busy these days.  I don't know what message you are
talking about, but I still have a lot of mail to read.

I don't insist on changing the default, as long as GRUB behaves
correctly.  I have verified that setting GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console
in /usr/local/etc/default/grub would disable gfxterm, and that should be
OK.

The only problem I see right now is that it's not documented in the
textinfo documentation, so that users won't be able to figure it out
without reading the code.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin