grub-devel

Re: grub configuration file format change?

From: Seth Goldberg
Subject: Re: grub configuration file format change?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:12:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Quoting Robert Millan, who wrote the following on Thu, 13 Aug 2009:

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 01:45:17PM -0700, Seth Goldberg wrote:
Hi,

  I know this isn't on the 1.97 roadmap, but I was wondering about the
status of changing the grub.cfg format.  I'm currently trying to plan
GRUB2 work for Solaris and I'd like to minimize as much code change as I
can.

We tend to change it very often.  I can't garantee there won't be any minor
change before 1.97.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I do understand that GRUB is under rapid development.

Is this an issue for you?  Colin said he was concerned about core.img and
grub.cfg getting out of sync (see the other sub-thread).  Does this problem
also affect you?

I saw that thread :) -- I don't think it's as much of a problem, because we'll probably stabilize on a particular snapshot of GRUB2. For incompatible updates to grub.cfg, I think we'll handle that when we update to a newer snapshot. It may be a concern for users who try to update GRUB2 themselves with the bleeding edge from the svn repo, but I think the community can handle that on a case-by-case basis.

  --S