grub-devel

Re: Policy-based memory allocations (was Re: RFC: 1.97 roadmap)

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Policy-based memory allocations (was Re: RFC: 1.97 roadmap)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:01:48 +0200

> But available memory is several orders of magnitude bigger than the largest
> block a loader will need.  So is this really an issue?
It's not always the case. Two examples
1) Solaris. At least some distributions of solaris use a big (70 MiB
compressed, around 200 MiB compressed) initrd which has to be loaded
as multiboot module in a single chunk. This puts biggest needed chunk
in the same order of magnitude as RAM available on some smaller
systems.
2) XNU hibernating. It requires booter to load hibernating image in a
single chunk. Even though it's compressed it can easily be 50% of
total RAM or more