grub-devel

Re: grub.cfg and core.img getting out of sync

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub.cfg and core.img getting out of sync
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:41:12 +0200

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 04:25:09PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I'm having persistent problems with grub.cfg and core.img getting out of
> sync. The usual pattern is:
>
>   * Some shiny new feature appears in core.img
>   * We extend grub-mkconfig to use it
>   * User runs update-grub but not grub-install (historically a perfectly
>     sane thing to do, and indeed basically standard practice)
>   * grub either falls over at boot or does something odd
>
> This just bit me again today, and if it bites me it's going to bite the
> users of the packages I upload too.

Generally, we make grub-mkconfig generate code that is backward compatible.
Can you give more details on why it wasn't this time?

Also, it's probably a good idea to always run grub-install at the same time
as update-grub.  Latest version of the Debian package includes a debconf
template to run grub-install every time the package is upgraded.

--
Robert Millan