grub-devel

Re: Is it possible to boot Syslinux com32 module from grub2 ?

From: J.Bakshi
Subject: Re: Is it possible to boot Syslinux com32 module from grub2 ?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:00:51 +0530

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Vladimir 'phcoder'
Serbinenko<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM, J. Bakshi<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> HDT (Hardware Detection Tool) is a Syslinux com32 module designed to display
>> low-level information for any x86 compatible system.
>>
>> HDT runs directly on the SYSLINUX bootloader. So it doesn't need to boot
>> first into an operating system like DOS, linux or Windows.
>>
> Which information exactly does it show? We have few different commands
> for different hw information
>> Is it possible to load this module through grub2 ?
>>
> It's not currently possible but quick look shows that it's under
> GPLv2+. Check that the files you need are under GPLv2+ (E.g. have a
> statement "or (at your option) any later version" and feel free to
> port it to grub2.

Hello,

HDT is really a must to have collection in the tool collection. It
does not need to load an OS to collect info of your H/W. you can know
more from
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Hdt_(Hardware_Detection_Tool)

Rather than porting, I like to boot it from grub but it is a syslinux
module and I don't know if it works at all. Can I use the chainloader
to boot syslinux and let it do the rest of the thing ?