grub-devel

Memory Map information: GRUB2 vs. Legacy GRUB (GRUB1)

From: Francis Shim
Subject: Memory Map information: GRUB2 vs. Legacy GRUB (GRUB1)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:55:14 -0400

Hi,

I am developing an eductional/hobby OS that is multiboot-compliant that
has been booted by Legacy GRUB successfully.  In this particular
instance, I am examining the Memory Map information that I obtain from
the Multiboot Information structure that Legacy GRUB returns
successfully.  Available and reserved areas appear to be collated
correctly.

However, when I boot using GRUB2, the Memory Map seems to have been
written over.

Some observations:
  1) Legacy GRUB seems to use a combination of ELF and Multiboot header
information to boot the OS image; however, GRUB2 using the "multiboot"
kernel type will use strictly Multiboot protocol.
  2) The Memory Map information under GRUB2 seems to be "zeroed" which
leads me to believe that there must be something different in the way
Legacy GRUB and GRUB2 handle Data and BSS segments (ie: initializing
data by zeroing out).

I am using GRUB2 version 1.96 from the Fedora RPM repository; hence, I
wanted to know if a later SVN version has a fix or is there a change in
the specifications.

Peace,
Frank