grub-devel

Re: booting iso image having syslinux

From: J. Bakshi
Subject: Re: booting iso image having syslinux
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 11:57:06 +0530

On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 13:25:34 +1000
Peter Cros <address@hidden> wrote:

> Some comments about live iso booting and grub2 loopback -
>
> After grub boots the live iso kernel and initrd, they need  to loop
> mount the iso again to access the live files. Otherwise the initrd
> would need rebuild, or some way found to pass the loop mount from
> grub.
>
> I have been trying some available live iso's (there are others out
> there). I am using grub.efi, not using syslinux..
>
> These live isos do loop mount the iso, and run -
> ununtu, grml, slax.
>
> These don't -
> fedora, debian, gparted.
>
> In all cases, grub loopback mounting of the iso and booting the
> kernel and initrd works.

I don't know if it is a coincident but your timing to share these info is
directly connected with my problem.
I am presently trying to collect some live iso in my usb stick and like to call
those by grub2. gparted is one of them.
I have in mind to use gparted iso but you have already mentioned that it can't
be. Is there any other work around within grub to cope with these type of iso ?

Thanks for sharing