grub-devel

Re: Three question about grub2

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: Three question about grub2
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:56:48 +0200

Am Freitag, den 07.08.2009, 14:19 +0530 schrieb J.Bakshi:
> Hello list,
>
> I am collecting some toolkits in my usb-stick powered with grub2. I
> installed grub2 in this stick from my debian squeeze box. During grub
> configuration some question has developed in my mind and I might be
> permitted to ask those in this list.
>
> 1] I am trying to boot the latest memtest86+ (v2.11) with grub2 as
>
> `````````````````````
> menuentry "memtest86+-2.11"
> {
> set root=(hd0,2)
> linux /memtest86+-2.11.bin
> }
> ```````````````````````````
>
> but grub reports
>
> ````````````````````
> zImage doesn't suppoert 32-bit boot (try with linux16)
> ```````````````````````
>
> I did some googling with this error but haven't found any solution.
> What does it mean and how can I fix it ?

grub tells you.
Use linux16 /memtest86+-2.11.bin

> 2] In syslinux.cfg we use "TEXT" to display message. How to do the
> same in grub2 ?

echo command.

> 3] I have seen some distro has keyboard interactive feature in GRUB.
> Like "press F2" for help etc. There should be a file with the required
> messages to display. But how to bind it with F2 key within grub
> configuration to make it work ?

Official grub2 doestn't have such a feature.
I don't know if Colin Bennet implemented this with his theme support or
if the screenshots there just show how it could be displayed if there
were such a feature.

All avaible documentation is in the official wiki http://grub.enbug.org

--
Felix Zielcke