grub-devel

Re: booting iso image having syslinux

From: J.Bakshi
Subject: Re: booting iso image having syslinux
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:43:12 +0530

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Vladimir 'phcoder'
Serbinenko<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:42 AM, J.Bakshi<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> GRUB2 has a cool feature to boot .iso image.  It is really a cool
>> option as we can simply put the .iso and test it without making a cd.
>> Some of the .iso has syslinux inbuilt. Like live .iso of gparted and
>> dban. How can we manage those .iso ? We need to call the syslinux.cfg
>> in those distros to get the boot option ( ex- dban ). Could any one
>> kindly focus on this issue ?
>>
> It's not an issue. Just bypass the syslinux and boot the kernel you
> want with options you want and initrd you want using linux and initrd
> commands
>> Thanks

I have done that and here is the menu entry

```````````````````
menuentry "gparted"
{
loopback loop (hd0,2)/gparted-live-0.4.5-2.iso
linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz1 union=aufs boot=live noswap noprompt
vga=791 toram ip=frommedia nolocales isofrom=/gparted-live-0.4.5-2.iso
initrd (loop)/live/initrd1.img
}

and grub reports "invalid magic number "  Obviously the
gparted-live-0.4.5-2.iso is located at the second partition of my usb
stick and the file system is reiserfs.  The options with kernel is
collected from the syslinux.cfg file