grub-devel

Re: VBE info request bit per Multiboot Specification 1

From: Jan Setje-Eilers
Subject: Re: VBE info request bit per Multiboot Specification 1
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:49:57 -0700

 <re-send after fixing subscription>

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:37:19PM -0400, Francis Shim wrote:
Hi,

In the Multiboot specifications (version 1), there is a flag that
the OS Image can set to request that the boot loader provide VBE
information to the OS kernel upon boot up via the Multiboot
Information structure. Legacy GRUB (GRUB1) deos not support this
feature without a patch that is circulating around in OS
development websites;

Hi,

It's not implemented. But since you mention that a patched GRUB Legacy supports it, I assume there are a number of OSes that
implement it.

 FWIW, we've got a prototype VESA console for Solaris that uses that
structure to avoid additional mode switches. In fact, was just looking
into what this looked like in GRUB 2 when someone pointed this thread
out to me.

 If the structure is built up compatibly, things should just work.

Can you provide us with a test case?  This would make an
implementation of the GRUB side much easier.

Btw, would you like to work on this?  It's not difficult, as we
already support something analogous in the Linux loader.

 Unless there's another preferred interface (or someone beats us to it).
we'll likely end up filling in. Considering the VBE code that's already
there this is fairly trivial.

-jan