grub-devel

Re: VBE info request bit per Multiboot Specification 1

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: VBE info request bit per Multiboot Specification 1
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:35:25 +0200

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 01:37:19PM -0400, Francis Shim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the Multiboot specifications (version 1), there is a flag that the OS
> Image can set to request that the boot loader provide VBE information to
> the OS kernel upon boot up via the Multiboot Information structure.
> Legacy GRUB (GRUB1) deos not support this feature without a patch that
> is circulating around in OS development websites;

Hi,

It's not implemented.  But since you mention that a patched GRUB Legacy
supports it, I assume there are a number of OSes that implement it.

Can you provide us with a test case?  This would make an implementation
of the GRUB side much easier.

Btw, would you like to work on this?  It's not difficult, as we already
support something analogous in the Linux loader.

--
Robert Millan