grub-devel

VBE info request bit per Multiboot Specification 1

From: Francis Shim
Subject: VBE info request bit per Multiboot Specification 1
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:37:19 -0400

Hi,

In the Multiboot specifications (version 1), there is a flag that the OS
Image can set to request that the boot loader provide VBE information to
the OS kernel upon boot up via the Multiboot Information structure.
Legacy GRUB (GRUB1) deos not support this feature without a patch that
is circulating around in OS development websites; however, I was
wondering if GRUB2 has the feature fully supported in its most
up-to-date SVN version.  I tried using GRUB2 version 1.96 using Fedora's
rpm; however, when I use "multiboot" as the kernel type, GRUB2 complains
that the feature is not supported.

What is the current direction that GRUB2 is taking with regards to VBE
support and how will it tie in with your graphical boot initiative?
Will Multiboot Specification version 2 be supported and will it have
enhanced VBE or video information support?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Peace,
Frank