grub-devel

Re: Rotated menu on EFI?

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Rotated menu on EFI?
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 01:34:51 +0200

2009/7/25 Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko <address@hidden>:

>> No, I mean that the arrow keys work normally but the menu is drawn
>> rotated to match the screen orientation.
> This would require
> (a) video support for EFI. This is simple to implement once
> framebuffer split is in
> (b) rotation support in gfxterm. Patches are welcome

I was able to run gfxterm in qemu.

Looking at the VideoSubsystem I wonder at what level the rotation
should be implemented. It could probably be done in gfxterm and
blit_glyph only which would be quite simple.

True video rotation would be somewhat harder but transparent to other
users of the video subsystem. Most functions could just go through a
simple remapping of coordinates except for the bitmap storing and
blitting functions. Rotated blitting is obviously somewhat harder and
slower (unless done by real video hardware) and rotating the stored
bitmaps is not very nice either.

I found two problems while trying to get gfxterm running.

The first one is with grub_mkrescue: it seems to ignore --modules=
option. I specified --modules=gfxterm but gfxterm still has to be
loaded in the grub.cfg. Another problem with this option is that the
format is unspecified. Are the modules separated by commas, spaces, or
other separators?

The other problem is graphics initialization. Unless I run "vbetest"
before "terminal_output gfxterm" gfxterm says "no suitable videomode
found".

Thanks

Michal