grub-devel

[RFC] Replace genmk.rb with GNU make construction

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: [RFC] Replace genmk.rb with GNU make construction
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:58:29 +0200

Hello. genmk.rb is a point where our build system has the most
problems. For once ruby is a problematic dependency on some platforms.
Then few people here understand ruby enough. And thirdly genmk.rb
prevents splitting *_SOURCES across .rmk. So I propose to switch to
GNU make which is already our dependency in any case. Here I put a
working prototype of such solution. I intentionally omitted deletion
of genmk.rb and .rmk->.mk renaming from this patch so it's easier to
read
This patch is just a prototype. It has 3 problems I currently aware of:
1) External build is untested
2) non i386-pc build is untested
3) make clean fails because of command line is too long
--
Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko

Personal git repository: http://repo.or.cz/w/grub2/phcoder.git