grub-devel

search for UUIDs is slow ...

From: Michael Kofler
Subject: search for UUIDs is slow ...
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:28:43 +0200

... if you have many partitions. On my test machine, I have 18 regular
partitions and 5 logical volumes (LVM) on two disks (1.5 TByte total).

(Ubuntu Jaunty, GRUB 1.96+20080724-12ubunut2)

search for UUIDs takes quite long, up to several seconds (depending on where the UUID is found)

1) I would prefer grub.cfg without search commands. I seldom change my
configuration, and if I do, I know I have to run update-grub. Is there a
chance to add another option to /etc/default/grub, i.e.
GRUB_SEARCH=yes/no (yes being the default setting, of course)?

2) If not, it might be a good idea to optimize GRUB in this regard. If
there is a timeout > 0 and there is no interaction, GRUB could scan the disks to find and cache all UUIDs while waiting for the timeout to end.

Thank you,

        Michael Kofler