grub-devel

Grub2, ext3 boot/root on LVM on RAID 5

From: Patrik Horník
Subject: Grub2, ext3 boot/root on LVM on RAID 5
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 16:25:50 +0200

Hello,

should booting from ext3 boot/root filesystem installed on LVM volume
work with Grub2? LVM is created on top of couple of RAID 5 arrays.

I've tested today's version of Grub2 from Debian testing and also
revision 2404 from SVN and it did not work. Both grub-probe and grub
on boot stop with error "unknown filesystem". Module ext2 is included
in core.img and ls command in grub rescue lists also LVM volume on
which the boot files and root filesystem resides. grub-probe detects
ext2 on native partitions, so I guess problem is in combination ext2 +
LVM + RAID 5...

Thanks.

Best regards,

Patrik Horník