grub-devel

Re: Some ideas about new features of grub

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Some ideas about new features of grub
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:40:29 -0400

Quoting Bean <address@hidden>:

IIRC, os-prober is a collection of shell script to detect os, but grub
already have them in util/grub.d. This method is based on linux, so
you need to enter linux in order to update the menu. On the other
hand, lua script generate the menu inside grub, there is no need to
enter any os.

I imagine most distros would want tight control over what appears in the menu. Nobody would want their distro appear last in the list. So osdetect.lua is a great thing, but it's not for everyone.

Another problem is the drive number. It's impossible to decide bios
drive number from inside linux, so we can't insert the correct
drivemap command required to boot DOS/Windows from secondary drive.
This information must be gathered at boot time.

It should be possible to find the partition using uuid or a unique file. drivemap accepts partitions as arguments (it did last time I checked).

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin