grub-devel

Re: Absence notice

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Absence notice
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:27:37 +0200

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 07:35:15PM +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> If worst-case scenarios don't fit into mbr gap we may consider another
> approaches
> 1) progressive loading (e.g. FS-parsing bootsectors in worst case
> bring some kind of stage1.5 back)
> 2) replace lzma with xz
> 3) use another embedding areas. E.g. lvm has to divide PV in PE of
> equal length. This often results in last block of space being smaller
> then PE. This space is reported by pvdisplay as unusable and we may
> use it w/o problems. I'm not an lvm expert though so don't rely on my
> word

Please, strive for simplicity.  We're not compelled to engineer such kind
of complicated solutions (except for changing our compressor) just because
some of our users insist in giving us crappy disk layouts and want us to
support them.

We don't have to support everything at all cost.  Some problems are much
more easily solved by just saying no.

--
Robert Millan