grub-devel

idea: library support for grub2

From: Bean
Subject: idea: library support for grub2
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 09:48:50 +0800

Hi,

Library is an archive file that contains unlinked object files. We can
use library function both statically or dynamically. In the former
case, we link the objects together to form an executable image, in the
later case, we load the object at runtime and resolve symbols, much
like the modules.

With library, the size of kernel can be reduced dramatically. Now, the
kernel only contains platform specific function. To build a kernel
image, we link the kernel and other required module, then link any
unresolved function from the library, this way, only the function that
are actually used is in the kernel.

As native library format of the building os could vary, we should use
a format that's specific to grub, perhaps something similar to cpio.

--
Bean