grub-devel

Re: Absence notice

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Absence notice
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 18:08:05 -0400

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 23:02 +0200, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> Hello. Tomorrow I go on my travel to France (RMLL) and won't be active
> till 14 July.

Bon voyage! :-)

>  I'll stay in contact but will not be able to review
> patches. I know that it doesn't change my status a lot right now -
> last week was pretty busy too. When I come back I'll catch up with the
> progress. If someone needs any of my patches in the trunk feel free to
> commit.
> Could someone review nested partition patch?

It doesn't apply in loader/i386/pc/chainloader.c at all.

I think some parts could be split and applied separately.  I don't think
there are any objections against supporting nested partitions.  But I
think it would be better to support letters for BSD partitions if it's
not too hard.

>  It changes sufficiently a
> lot to need a peer review and I need for clear network naming support
> (I plan to use a syntax like (ftp,192.168.1.1,21,user,pass)/grub.cfg )

I think the networking is better split from GRUB as a separate project
under GPLv2.  It would be a huge effort to reimplement networking under
GPLv3.  And I don't see it as a priority.  The priority should be
supplanting GRUB1, yaboot and other bootloaders currently in use.

> @Pavel: thank you very much for being so active and pushing project
> forward.Keep up with the good work

Thanks!

--