grub-devel

Re: grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1 fails

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda1 fails
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:33:25 +0200

Am Montag, den 01.06.2009, 21:39 +0200 schrieb Felix Zielcke:
> Am Mittwoch, den 06.05.2009, 17:12 +0200 schrieb Vladimir 'phcoder'
> Serbinenko:
> > Don't we already have a function which transforms host directory into
> > grub
> > directory? AFAIR we have.
>
> There's just the shell function in grub-mkconfig_lib.in
> Here's now a patch wich implements it in util/hostdisk.c and gets used
> for core_path_dev in setup ().
> But it doestn't work with symlinks.
> readlink () can only be used if the file pointed to is a symlink, not if
> a symlink is somewhere in between.
> coreutils where the readlink binary is from is GPL 3+ but the function
> for it uses hash tables and it seems like it would be too much code to
> copy just for this.

So what do we do know about this problem?
We could just assume that the directory given with grub-setup
--directory is already the real absolute path and just use the stat
magic to make it relative.
Or we use realpath() if avaible to get the real one.
And on systems not having it, like mingw we could just assume that it's
already relative and just return the path given.
Or is there some other way this bug can be fixed?
--
Felix Zielcke