grub-devel

Re: A strange occurrence

From: David A. Cobb
Subject: Re: A strange occurrence
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:48:47 -0400

 On 06/16/2009 02:30 PM, Felix Zielcke wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 16.06.2009, 14:20 -0400 schrieb David A. Cobb:
<BIG SNIP/>

But, I'm puzzled [yeah, that is my normal state].  Did the BIOS actually
read a different image?  Or, did the "old" GRUB fail to chainload, even
though there is no visible sign during a normal boot that the old GRUB
is still around?  If the latter, should I consider writing the GRUB-2
image onto the MBR again?  Or, would that be just asking for trouble?
upgrade-from-grub-legacy currently runs grub-install '(hd0)' and which
disk hd0 is, is defined in your /boot/grub/device.map
Robert and me are thinking how we solve that problem at best.
OK. I only have one disk, and I did "upgrade-from-grub-legacy."
If you tell grub-pc that you want to chainload it from grub-legacy then
it runs the update-grub from grub-legacy to create the menuentry for it
and so updates the kernel list for it too.
Maybe you just had grub-legacy in MBR of 2 (or more) of your disks
installed and then BIOS just loaded not the one you thought it would but
the other one.
I don't see where grub2 would have a problem.
If your BIOS changes the disk order then you have to make sure that on
this disk the right grub is installed to MBR.
MfG!
David