grub-devel

Re: Fw: gettext support

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Fw: gettext support
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 00:37:37 +0200

Hello. Welcome back and your work is appreciated. I will look at the patch later (In couple minutes I go to sleep)

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Carles Pina i Estany <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello,

Last January I sent a patch to add gettext support. When I had time, the
list was not very, and afterwards I didn't have time.

Hopefully from now on and during next weeks I will have some time to
follow up the discussion, make changes, etc. (not exactly everyday but I
will be able to do, I hope).

Find attached the patch that you can apply with the last version.
Surprisingly, after resolving a couple of conflicts, it works like last
January.

General design:
a) I did a new module called gettext. It uses locale_prefix and lang
variables to locate the .mo file

b) Some strings in Grub (currently only one) uses _("") function to
translate the text. This is a hook function that returns the same text
when the gettext module is not loaded or the translation when it's
loaded

gettext module parses the .mo file without using hash and using
bisection for the searching (if I remember correctly).

The scripts that generates menu.lst also supports (at least some)
gettext support from Bash/Shell itself.

Here you can read the ChangeLog:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2009-01/msg00118.html and
more instructions

In that thread we talked about some encoding problem. As Niels (I think)
suggested, after setting up the Charset in the .po file it's working
fine.

Right now you would need to "compile" the .po file to .mo file by hand
(directory grub2/po) and then copy to the correct place in your
/usr/share directory, like:
/usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/grub.mo

(you can use this location with this menu.lst:
set locale_prefix=/usr/share/locale
set lang=ca
insmod gettext
)

Comments for next steps to commit the patch are welcomed.
(maybe I need to setup the "path" to access to /usr/share/locale in the
Grub installation script in grub.cfg -e.g. search --fs-uuid ...- or we
can do it afterwards?)
 I already commented on this issue: simply don't use /usr. It may be inacessible (e.g. encrypted). Just make grub-install to copy locale files to $prefix or to $prefix/locale and then you don't need a separate variable for locale prefix (just use $prefix or $prefix/locale)

Thanks,

PS: any Grub developer living/working in London?

--
Carles Pina i Estany
       http://pinux.info