grub-devel

Re: A strange occurrence

From: BandiPat
Subject: Re: A strange occurrence
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:59:55 -0400

Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:

    Here's what you do from a root shell:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=446 count=1
    (the "x" is the letter of your installed drive, "a" "b" )
    Also, for the "bs" number, never use more than "446" as anything
    larger will overwrite your partition table of the drive, pretty much
    rendering it useless without any partitions.

440, not 446, otherwise you destroy serial number of the drive
Thanks phcoder,
Each time I find info about doing this, I also find more info about how much to write. I used 512 the first time I did it, quickly learning I cleared out my partition table, then I found the 446 after I had to rebuild my drive from scratch. :-\

I had not found anything about the 440, but it's good to know so as not to remove any pertinent drive data.

Pat