grub-devel

Re: Customizable text menu appearance/themeable text interface

From: Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Customizable text menu appearance/themeable text interface
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:55:03 +0200

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Pavel Roskin<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 09:45 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
>> User pelle.k on the Ubuntu forums had an interesting (and to me, appealing)
>> idea to provide customization of the GRUB text menu appearance to make it
>> cleaner and more elegant (obviously this may vary with personal taste).  I
>> have seen other questions on the GRUB list here about removing or changing
>> certain text on the GRUB text menu as well.
>>
>> Even when the graphical menu is polished and working perfectly, the text menu
>> is still highly desirable in a number of situations.  Some users will still
>> prefer it.
>
> Yes, it looks nice.  Also, on some terminals (serial, open firmware) the
> borders cannot be drawn, at least in a nice and reliable way.
I think it's a good idea too. Grub can acquire an interface completely
loadable from a file.
The format of theme description fileis to be discussed. One possiblity
would be a plain ascii screen dump with special markers to indicate
where to put menu. This format has however the problem of depending on
resolution and not working nice if resolution changes. Can you propose
an easy-to-use and resolution-independent format? Also grub2 must stay
usable even if no theme file is present on the system