grub-devel

Customizable text menu appearance/themeable text interface

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Customizable text menu appearance/themeable text interface
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:45:14 -0700

User pelle.k on the Ubuntu forums had an interesting (and to me, appealing)
idea to provide customization of the GRUB text menu appearance to make it
cleaner and more elegant (obviously this may vary with personal taste).  I
have seen other questions on the GRUB list here about removing or changing
certain text on the GRUB text menu as well.

Even when the graphical menu is polished and working perfectly, the text menu
is still highly desirable in a number of situations.  Some users will still
prefer it.

Read the post and see pelle.k's mocked-up screen shots at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7444286&postcount=24

On 2009-06-12 around 07:00, pelle.k wrote on the Ubuntu forums:
>I dont know to what extent grub2 is supposed to be able to theme, but i
> really (really, really, really) hope there will be some way to remove
>
>    * borders
>    * Version info text at the top
>    * Help text at the bottom
>
>It looks really messy as it is now (grub legacy), and i don't really need
> any fancy graphics, or animations (although that could be nice) - just the
> ability to have grub not point me in the eyes so much by default. Look at
> an white/black standard grub (don't even get me started at the
> white/black/blue one... hehe), and a mockup i made. Simplicity is much more
> pleasing to the eyes, me thinks (the second, and third one). With a
> splashimage, it looks even better, where the borders on the "standard grub"
> would spoil it a bit.

I wonder if anyone is interested in working on something to provide text menu
customization?

Regards,
Colin