grub-devel

Re: insmod ohci fails to register usb ports

From: Oliver Henshaw
Subject: Re: insmod ohci fails to register usb ports
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 21:53:58 +0100

2009/6/7 Oliver Henshaw <address@hidden>:
> Even with the fixes mentioned previously, grub fails with an OHCI
> controller (NEC ohci/ehci chipset on a PCI card). It seems to successfully
> initialise the
> controller, but fails to enumerate the ports. The same output is seen with a
> mouse
> attached as with no devices attached.

I forgot to mention what I've tried so far.
* I read the Host Controller initialisation part of the OHCI spec and
checked whether the controller is initially under SMI or BIOS control
- but it's not.
* I then took a look at the freebsd[1] usb controller drivers and
tried out the quirks and workarounds they use - but they didn't make
any difference.

What I haven't done is put any effort into figuring out what more
needs to be done to make sure all queue-related registers are
correctly set. It doesn't look like everything suggested in the OHCI
spec is implemented. Also, it looks like the freebsd driver does still
more than the spec recommends.

Oliver

[1] For some reason, the usb drivers in FreeBSD 7 are still
BSD+Advertising license. Luckily, the drivers in svn head are not.