grub-devel

How to boot a USB drive from a CD ?

From: Serge Noiraud
Subject: How to boot a USB drive from a CD ?
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:36:40 +0200

Hi,

My problem is exactly like below :

I plug a usb device on a bootable usb machine.
The BIOS see 4 disks on the usb drive ( LUNs )
The first one is a linux distribution.
The second one is another linux distribution.
The third is a XP and the fourth is Vista.

When I select one of them with the F8 key at boot, it works.

When I am on a machine without usb boot possibility, I would like to boot from
a CD.

I tried many things, but impossible to do that.

For example, if I have :

LUN 1 : 2008
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
configfile (hd1,1)/grub/menu.lst

This doesn't work.
I load menu.lst but all references in menu.lst are from hd0.
I am on hd1, so I can't boot.

If I use ( I would like to use this ) :

LUN 1 : 2008 with mapping
rootnoverify (hd1,1)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

In this case, I get : GRUB Loading stage2...
I'm always waiting for my menu.lst

So I'm looking for one solution which could be :
really map hdx to hd0 for grub to works correctly.
or a method to really hide hd0.

Is this possible ? with grub ? with grub2 ?
Do you have one solution ?

I never saw one solution for this on google.

--
Serge Noiraud

Linux, c'est mieux. Firefox, c'est mieux. OpenOffice, c'est mieux.

Développeur projet : http://www.gramps-project.org/