grub-devel

Re: Idea: Move kernel to upper memory

From: Vladimir Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Idea: Move kernel to upper memory
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:45:36 +0200

Hello, I resurrect this thread because of the recent developement in preboot, mmap and drivemap this subject becomes very actual

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Bean <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

The traditional memory is quite small, and is used by real mode apps.
By moving grub2 kernel to upper memory, it's possible to keep it after
dos started, and we can invoke grub2 service using interrupts. One
important usage is to provide disk related function to dos via int 13,
for example, loopback device, ata/usb disk or linux software raid. It
would also be possible to reenter grub2 at any time.

I have thought of a method to implement this. First, we put kernel
code in a module kernel.mod. The platform initialization code is
separated and placed in startup.img. Startup.img would do things like
getting memory map, relocate real mode trunk and save the information
in a platform dependent structure. It then pass it to the first
module, which would be kernel.mod. kernel.mod relocates itself and
other embedded modules to upper memory, then calls the entry point for
further tasks.

One advantage of this scheme is that symlist.c is not longer needed.
Kernel is a module, other module can use its exported function. And
platform dependent data and function, such as efi system table, x86
interrupt call, etc, can be passed using a structure.

--
Bean