grub-devel

Re: Grub2 svn2059

From: BandiPat
Subject: Re: Grub2 svn2059
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 16:27:34 -0400

Andreas Born wrote:
BandiPat schrieb:
Thanks Andreas, I just figured that out as well when testing on another machine just now. If you still have the file I sent you for svn2059, would you mind testing it on your machine as well. I'm tempted to send you the svn2059 or 2065 to compile on your current machine, to see if it behaves differently than the one I built. Be prepared though, as I'm sure you'll need to re-install svn2031 back after 2059 fails to boot. Keep your LiveCD available to reboot! :-)
I tested the svn2059-60.1 build on my current Zenwalk installation. It would boot here, but I have it installed to superblock of my ext3 partition, so that might be the difference. Therefore I installed grub2 to the MBR, but like that it would work too.
But I noticed two other problems:

   * If I drop to console with 'c' from the menu and then reload the
     menu with 'configfile (hd0,3)/boot/grub/grub.cfg', 'prefix' is
     unset and I can't boot. If I drop then back to console I can set
     'prefix' properly to '(hd0,3)/boot/grub' and boot from console,
     but configfile won't work.
   * With the 'linux' loader as opposed to the 'linux16' loader, I
     would always get a verbose splash, although I force a silent one
     with 'splash=silent'. My assumption was that the kernel parameters
     are ignored at all, but passing a wrong root resulted in a error.
     So either only 'splash=silent' is ignored or its something
     completely different. I think the problem is related to the one
     described in "New linux loader doesn't like vga=1".

Andreas

Don't know if anyone is still interested in this problem or not, but I believe I have found the problem, as I have svn2070 working now on all 4 of my machines. What I found. Upon testing on my main machine, I found during my investigations, that it didn't seem that the newer Grub2 was overwriting the info in the MBR. My drive had the system on hd0,1, but listing the root set at the rescue prompt showed hd0,2 for some reason, which was from a previous setup. I manually cleared out the MBR, installed the newer version, from svn2031 that had been working, then ran grub-install again. To my delight, it worked without problems, after rebooting!

Since I normally get weekly svn files to test, I wondered if doing grub-install so often caused this breakdown in overwriting the MBR? I have tested this fix on 4 different machines now and after clearing out the MBR, grub-install works correctly. So my question to you guys is this: is this a bug in Grub2 that causes it not to overwrite the MBR with new info or something else?

I also concur with Andreas above about the "vga" problem, which I've noticed you guys discussing often here. Presently if I use splash=silent vga=794, the splash will not show. I get the correct resolution set, but still see the scrolling text. From the emails I've read here, this problem still seems to be present in the latest svn? Is there something extra that ./configure needs now to make this work correctly?

Thanks,
Pat