grub-devel

status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command

From: John Stanley
Subject: status grub2 port of grub-legasy map command
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 21:03:55 -0400

Hi all,
I was wondering what the current status of a grub2 port of the grub-0.97 "map" and "rootnoverify" commands is? I have found some work done to this end in the "drivemap.patch" work, but I find nothing more recent than drivemap.patch.8 dated around Aug 2008.

I have taken drivemap.patch.8 and made a few updates so that it builds and works, at least partially, in grub2-r2101. I build "homebrew" linux systems for my laptops (thinkpads) and desktops and on several of them I have a 2nd hd installed in the cd-bay with Windows XP. For dual booting, I've been using grub legasy w/o problems using:

title   Windows XP
   rootnoverify (hd1,0)
   map (hd1) (hd0)
   map (hd0) (hd1)
   chainloader +1

For grub2-r2101, I use:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file is an example on how to add custom entries
menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP" {
      drivemap (hd0) (hd1)
      set root=(hd1,1)
      chainloader --force +1
}

When I use drivemap as above, on booting Windows I get the message:

unaligned pointer 0x76697264
Aborted. Press any key to exit

I then simply hit "enter," and Windows begins to boot. So, the mapping works, I do have dual-booting with Windows not on the (bios) first drive, but mm.c complains about an unaligned pointer.

Could anyone give me any pointers/direction on what might be happening here? Could it be that the "norootverify"-functionality of grub-legasy is lacking here? Or, perhaps, that the "--force" option is not being honored ?

Any help/suggestions/related-info would be greatly appreciated.

Thus far, I have not been able to get a Windows boot using the "-s" switch of drivemap , e.g., "drivemap -s (hd0) (hd1)" as this results in a grub Abort, followed by a reboot.

John