grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 - Please add support for 64-bit FreeBSD

From: phcoder
Subject: Re: GRUB2 - Please add support for 64-bit FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:50:41 +0200

I haven't looked in depth yet, but it's a bit more. the loader switches to amd64 and sets preliminary page translation
Bean wrote:
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 5:54 AM, Daniel Nebdal <address@hidden> wrote:
Bean wrote:
Hi,

Please try the btx loader in /boot/loader, which I believe to be
32-bit even in amd64 freebsd. The btx loader is an a.out executable,
grurb2 has supported for it already.
Ah, just noticed I replied to this before subscribing, so the copy to
the list bounced.
Let's try again.

The BTX loader starts, yes - but the reason I'm using GRUB2 in the
first place is to skip it,
since it doesn't seem to support logical partitions.

Hi,

Oh, thanks for the information. The 32-bit bsd kernel is basically an
elf image that needs a little address translation:

physical address = virtual address & 0xFFFFFF

I think the principle can be applied to 64-bit kernel as well, it
shouldn't be difficult to add support for it.

--

Regards
Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko