grub-devel

Re: stat for FreeBSD

From: Andrey Shuvikov
Subject: Re: stat for FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 08:48:37 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 2/7/09, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Robert Millan <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: stat for FreeBSD
> To: "The development of GRUB 2" <address@hidden>
> Date: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 2:39 PM
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 09:24:41AM
> -0800, Andrey Shuvikov wrote:
> > I don't have much experience developing under FreeBSD
> but this call taken from the fdisk source code seems to work
> (see attachment also):
> >
> > error = ioctl(fd, DIOCGMEDIASIZE, &size);
>
> This seems fine.  Could you provide a tested patch?
>
> --
> Robert Millan
>
>   The DRM opt-in fallacy: "Your data belongs to us. We
> will decide when (and
>   how) you may access your data; but nobody's
> threatening your freedom: we
>   still allow you to remove your data and not access
> it at all."

Here is the patch against the latest revision to make grub-probe working on
FreeBSD. It includes this ioctl call, FreeBSD device names parsing, and
accounts for the fact that disk drives are character devices under FreeBSD.
Below is the reply from FSF:

Hello Andrey,

Your GRUB2 assignment/disclaimer process with the FSF is currently
complete; your fully executed PDF will be sent to you in a separate
email immediately following this one.

Please remember to let us know when your employment status changes, as
this may effect your assignment status.

Thank you for your contribution!

All the best,

Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Assignment Administrator
Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor
Boston, MA 02110
Phone +1-617-542-5942
Fax +1-617-542-2652

cc - maintainer
INFORMATION FOR THE MAINTAINER(S)

Here's how the contributor answered the question, “ Did you copy any
files or text written by someone else in these changes?”

Copied some lines from the same project, then modified.

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]

include/grub/util/getroot.h
util/grub-probe.c
util/getroot.c