grub-devel

Re: Grub2 svn2059

From: BandiPat
Subject: Re: Grub2 svn2059
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 15:35:30 -0400

Andreas Born wrote:
BandiPat wrote:
phcoder wrote:

    Have you re-run grub-setup?

------
No, I've never run grub-setup after an install, only grub-install & grub-mkconfig. What will that program do? I tried to read the man page, but it gave me an error.
It's invoked by grub-install to do the actual installation of the
bootloader. Basically it installs an image generated by grub-mkimage.
grub-install just tries to automate all this stuff.
So in fact you run grub-setup.

Andreas
=======
Thanks Andreas, I just figured that out as well when testing on another machine just now. If you still have the file I sent you for svn2059, would you mind testing it on your machine as well. I'm tempted to send you the svn2059 or 2065 to compile on your current machine, to see if it behaves differently than the one I built. Be prepared though, as I'm sure you'll need to re-install svn2031 back after 2059 fails to boot. Keep your LiveCD available to reboot! :-)

I just tested 2059 on another machine here, which resulted in the same error, non-boot situation as it did on my main machine. There is a bug somewhere since 2031. I guess at this point someone needs to research what changed between 2031 and 2059.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Pat