grub-devel

Re: Raid 5 on raw disk install is broken.

From: Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd
Subject: Re: Raid 5 on raw disk install is broken.
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 12:07:12 +1300

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 09:04 +1300, Centurion Computer Technology (2005)
Ltd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a raid array named /dev/md/d0
>
> The comand
>
> grub-setup -r "(md0,1)" "(md0)" fails with:
> grub-setup: error: Can't open /dev/md0: No such file or directory.
>
> I have traced this down to lines 68 - 70  in util/raid.c  a copy of the
> offending lines is:
>
>   devname = xmalloc (strlen (name) + 6);
>   strcpy (devname, "/dev/");
>   strcpy (devname+5, name);
>
> The problem is that it appears to sake the grub device id "md0" and
> simply append it to the string "/dev/" to get /dev/md0.  This will break
> any installation of grub on mdraid whole disk sets.
Just to clarify this, The linux standard device name for a linux
whole/partionable disk mdraid device is /dev/md/dN, and the old style
naming scheme is /dev/md_dN

I am still looking for a fix for this.  The only way I can see to sort
this is to use the device.map to get the linux device name from the grub
device name.  Can anybody point me to how to get this device name or an
example of where this is already done?

--
Daniel Reurich

Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Limited.
Ph: 021 797 722